Stewed Beef Northern Style
|Stewing beef||12 Ounce, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (Brisket / Shin, 350 Grams)|
|Spring onion||1 , sliced diagonally into 2 inch segments|
|Oil||2 Teaspoon (Preferably Ground Nut)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), lightly crushed|
|Dried red chili||1|
|Chinese white radish||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|For braising sauce|
|Chicken stock||10 Fluid Ounce (300 Milliliter)|
|Light soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dark soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine||2 Teaspoon|
|Five spice powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Hoisin sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole yellow bean sauce||2 Teaspoon|
1. In a wok or large frying-pan heat oil until it is very hot and add the beef.
2. Stir-fry until brown, (This should take about 10 minutes.)
3. Pour off any excess fat and save 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
4. Reheat the oil, add the spring onion, ginger, garlic and chili and stir-fry with the beef for about 5 minutes.
5. Take it out and put it into a large fireproof casserole or pot.
6. Put all the braising sauce ingredients in this casserole and bring it to a boil, skim off any fat from the surface and turn the heat as low as possible.
7. Put on the lid and braise for 1 1/2 hours, remove the cover and add the radish and continue to cook for another 30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
8. Now turn on the heat and boil rapidly to reduce the liquid for about 15 minutes.
9. When the sauce is thickened a little remove from fire.
10. Serve hot with rice or vegetables.