Fagioli Con Carne
|Dried haricot beans||8 Ounce|
|Stewing beef||1 Pound|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooking apple||1 Large|
1) Preheat the oven to 325F.
2) In a large saucepan, add in washed beans along with plenty of cold water. Let the water come to a boil.
3) Let the water boil for 2 minutes before taking the pan off the flame. Cover and let the beans soak in the water for about 2 hours.
4) In a casserole, heat the oil. Saute the onions for about 3 minutes.
5) Slice the beef into bite-sized chunks. Add them to the pan and saute till they brown. Add in the chilli, curry powder and flour. Fry the mixture for 2 minutes.
6) Slowly add in the stock. Let it boil, while stirring.
7) Add in the canned tomatoes and the tomato paste. Drain the beans and add to the casserole. Sprinkle, sugar, salt and pepper.
8) Cover the casserole. Place on the centre rack of the oven. Cook for 2 hours.
9) Peel, core and chop the apple.
10) Add the chopped apple into the casserole along with the sultanas. Cook for 30 more minutes.
11) Serve the Fagioli Con Carne with crusty wholemeal bread on the side.