Braised Short Ribs of Beef
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Beef short ribs||2 Pound, cut into 3 to 4 inch pieces|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Potatoes||4 , pared and halved|
|White onions||5 , peeled|
|Carrots||4 , scraped and quartered|
|Celery stalks||8 , cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) Combine together the flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
2) In the mixture, toss the meat till it is well-coated on all sides.
3) Place a large skillet over moderate-high heat and brown the meat in the oil.
4) As soon as each piece is browned, remove it and set it in a bowl.
5) Into the hot skillet, turn the vegetables and saute them quickly for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn these into a bowl as well.
6) From the heat, remove the skillet and add the remaining flour, working quickly in order to make a smooth paste.
7) Add the boiling water, cosntantly stirring, in order to make a smooth sauce. Get all the juices up by scraping the bottom of the skillet.
8) Into a slow cooker, turn the sauce and then add the vegetables, followed by the meat.
9) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
10) Transfer the preparation to a serving plate and serve while still hot. Makes a good main course dish and can be served with mashed potatoes on the side.