|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef brisket||10 Pound|
1. In a bowl mix salt, sugar and saltpeter.
2. Cube the meat in 5" chunks.
3. On a heavy brown paper keep the pieces of meat and rub each piece thoroughly with salt mixture.
4. Tightly pack into 2-gallon crock or enamel pan.
5. Sprinkle remaining salt mixture over the meat.
6. Keep a plate over it that covers it, fits tightly, and weighs it down.
7. After 7 days shift top pieces to bottom.
8. Refrigerate the crock for at least 24 days before using.
9. Use the meat within 3 weeks. Wash well in cold water before cooking.
10. Reserve the unused meat in cure prepared diluting 1/2 its volume of boiling water.