Corned Beef With Cabbage
|Corned beef||5 Pound|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef brisket||10 Pound|
|Cold water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Or As Desired)|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Clove (2.5 gm)|
|Carrots||3 , peeled and quartered|
|Onions||3 , peeled|
|Cabbage head||1 , cut into wedges|
|Salt petre||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. To prepare corned beef, in a bowl mix salt, sugar and saltpeter.
2. Cube the meat in 5" chunks.
3. On a heavy brown paper keep the pieces of meat and rub each piece thoroughly with salt mixture.
4. Tightly pack into 2-gallon crock or enamel pan.
5. Sprinkle remaining salt mixture over the meat.
6. Keep a plate over it that covers it, fits tightly, and weighs it down.
7. After 7 days shift top pieces to bottom.
8. Refrigerate the crock for at least 24 days before using.
9. Wash corned beef with water 3 or 4 times to wash the brine.
10. Keep in a vessel and cover with cold water.
11. Add garlic and peppercorns.
12. Cook over simmering heat for 1 1/2 hours for young beef or up to 5 hours for older beef until meat is tender.
13. Mix carrots and onions during last hour of cooking.
14. Stir in cabbage before last 20 minutes.
15. Serve corned beef on platter. Decorate with vegetables around it.