Five Spice Beef
|Beef shin||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 2-3 long strips (750 Grams)|
|Spring onion||3 , each tied into a knot|
|Ginger root||4 (Unpeeled)|
|Chinese spirit/Brandy||4 Tablespoon|
|Light soy sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Five spice powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Rock candy/Crystal sugar||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Chicken pieces||2 3⁄4 Pound (1.25 Kilogram, Excluding Breastmeat)|
|Pork spareribs||2 3⁄4 Pound (1.25 Kilogram)|
|Basic stock||2 1⁄2 Pint (1.5 Liter)|
|Water||12 Pint (7 Liter)|
|Ginger root||4 Large, unpeeled and crushed|
|Spring onion||4 , each tied into a knot|
|Chinese rice wine/Dry sherry||4 Tablespoon|
|Spring onions||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped (For Garnish)|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
Basic stock : 1) Trim off the excess fat from the chicken pieces and pork spare-ribs.
2) In a large pot, place the chicken and pork with the cold water, ginger and spring onions.
3) Bring to a boil and skim off the surface scum.
4) Then simmer, uncovered over a low heat for at least 2-3 hours, until the liquid is reduced by about 1/3.
5) Strain the stock, discard the chicken and pork pieces, ginger and spring onions.
6) Stir in the wine, return to a boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stock is ready for use.
7) In a pot, place the beef with the spring onions, ginger, brandy and basic stock.
8) Bring to a boil, skim off the surface scum, simmer, covered over a low heat for 20-25 minutes.
9) Stir in the salt, soy sauces, spice and sugar, return to a boil, then simmer, covered for another 25-30 minutes.
10) Remove the beef, allow to cool and thinly slice the beef across the grain just before serving.
11) Strain the 'gravy', allow to cool and then refrigerate and use later as a 'Master Gravy'.
12) Arrange the Five Spice Beef on a plate, garnish with finely chopped spring onions and sesame oil and serve immediately.