Simmered Beef Shanks
|Crosscut beef shanks||4 Pound|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and quartered|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a large plastic cooking bag, place 2 tablespoons flour, the salt, and pepper and add the beef shanks to the bag and mix well. Coat the shanks well by shaking the bag.
2. In a large Dutch oven, place the Crisco and heat it till melted. Add the coated shanks to the hot oil and brown well
3. Add the tomato juice, parsley and basil to the hot oil and cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours till done.
4. Add the potatoes and simmer for 30-45 minutes covered or till the potatoes are tender
5. Remove the meat and potatoes to a heated serving dish and skim off the excess pan juices. Add water to the pan juices to make 1 cup liquid. Mix this with the cold water and the rest of the flour. Stir into the pan juices. Cook this mixture till thick and bubbly.
6. Serve with meat and potatoes