|Pigs head/2 trotters / cowheel||1|
1. In a large bowl add brine and soak head for 3 to 5 days unless already pickled.
2. Clean the head thoroughly.
3. In a large pan keep the head. Cover with cold water and boil.
4. Add seasoning and cook over simmering heat for 2-3 hours until tender.
5. Discard tongue, skin and reserve.
6. Scrape out the meat from bones and dice.
7. In the pan add bones, 1 quart of liquor, onions and seasonings.
8. Simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
9. Strain the liquid and reduce it.
10. Let it cook until it forms a jelly.
11. Mix diced meat and adjust seasoning.
12. Garnish with rinsed mould or basin with sliced tongue and slices of hard-boiled egg.
13. Transfer the meat mixture into prepared mould and keep aside to set.
14. Invert into a serving dish and garnish with parsley.
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 196
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g27.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3380.5 mg1126.8%
Sodium 284.5 mg11.9%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.5%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 27 g53.9%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 84.5%
Calcium 5% Iron 28.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet