|Topside/Beef rump||3⁄4 Pound|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||2|
|Potato puree||1⁄2 Pound|
|Bread crescents||8 , fried|
|Hot stock||3⁄4 Pint|
|Capers||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Red currant jelly||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon rind||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||3⁄8 Pint|
1. Trim rust and rind from rashers. Press to thin.
2. Cut bacon and divide into same number as meat pieces.
3. Arrange bacon pieces on each piece of meat. Tie or skew as for beef olives.
4. In a pan fry meat and vegetables similar to brown stew.
5. Pour stock to cover.
6. Season and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours.
7. When half done, add finely grated lemon rind, chopped capers and jelly.
8. In a small bowl mix cornflour with red wine.
9. Add it to the strained sauce to thicken.
10. Adjust seasoning and colour.
11. In a pan, prepare the potato puree similar for beef olives.
12. Divide into small walnut size portions.
13. Roll into balls and dredge in egg and breadcrumbs.
14. Fry in deep fat.
15. Fry crescents of bread in deep fat.
16. Serve immediately.