Boeuf En Croute
|Beef fillet||2 Pound, trimmed of fat (1 kilogram)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Vegetable oil||15 Milliliter (1 tablespoon)|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced (100 gram)|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Flaky pastry dough/Puff pastry dough||1 (made with 225 gram / 1/2 pound flour)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (for glaze)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6.
2. Tie the fillet in a neat shape and sprinkle with pepper.
3. In a pan, melt half the butter and fry beef briskly until browned on all sides.
4. Transfer to a roasting tin, roast in a preheated moderately hot oven for 10 minutes and let it cool.
5. In a pan, heat the remaining butter and the oil and fry the mushrooms and herbs gently for 3 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, then leave to cool.
7. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thin rectangle large enough to cover the meat and overlap generously.
8. Place the meat in the centre of the dough and spoon over the mushrooms.
9. Moisten the edges of the dough, fold over the meat and turn the ends upwards so that no juices escape.
10. Use any trimmings to decorate the top of the dough.
11. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Wrap in foil, then overwrap in a freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
12. Cut into thick slices and serve.
13. To thaw the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 6 hours. Reheat gently on top of the stove, stirring occasionally.
14. Remove wrappings, place on a baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.
15. Bake in a preheated hot oven (220°C/425°F or Gas Mark 7) for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderately hot (190°C/375°F or Gas Mark 5) and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden brown and heated through.
16. Serve as indicated in step 12.
Calories 950 Calories from Fat 635
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 71 g108.9%
Saturated Fat 29.6 g148.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 233 mg77.7%
Sodium 449.1 mg18.7%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.4%
Sugars 0.7 g
Protein 49 g97.3%
Vitamin A 8.3% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 23.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet