|Vegetable oil||60 Milliliter (4 tablespoons)|
|Beef topside||2 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes (1.25 kilogram)|
|Streaky bacon||4 Ounce, rinds removed and diced (100 gram)|
|Flour||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Red wine||8 Fluid Ounce (250 milliliter)|
|Beef stock||8 Fluid Ounce (250 milliliter)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Pinch|
|Brandy||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoons)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Pickling onions||12 Small, peeled|
|Freshly chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon (for garnish)|
1. Preheat an oven moderately to (160°C/325°F or Gas Mark 3)
2. In a pan, heat 3 x 15 ml spoons/3 tablespoons oil and fry beef briskly until browned on all sides.
3. Drain and transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
4. Into the pan fry adding bacon until crisp and golden brown, then stir in the flour and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Simmer stirring in the wine, stock, bay leaves, garlic and herbs gently.
6. In a small pan, put the brandy warm through, then ignite and pour over the meat while still flaming.
7. Pour over the sauce, add salt and pepper to taste, then cover and cook in a preheated moderate oven for 1 1/2 hours.
8. In a pan, heat the remaining oil and fry the onions gently until browned.
9. Drain thoroughly, add to the casserole and cook for a further 1 hour until the meat is tender.
10. Remove the bay leaves and if you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool the dish, leave in the casserole or pour into a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
11. In a freezer bag or foil wrap the casserole and then cover.
12. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
13. To thaw and serve: reheat from frozen in the covered casserole in the preheated moderate oven for 2 hours or until heated through.
14. Serve as indicated in step 12.