Pot Roast of Lamb
|Lamb shoulder||5 1⁄2 Pound, boned|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried marjoram leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can, Undiluted)|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and halved|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Wipe lamb with damp paper towels.
2) Remove the fat and spread the meat flat.
3) In a small bowl mix parsley, garlic, salt, basil, marjoram and pepper.
4) Spread parsley mixture over lamb.
5) Roll up in jelly-roll fashion very tightly.
6) Secure with a twine.
7) In Dutch oven heat butter and brown roast on all sides for 20 minutes.
8) Take off the roast.
9) In the same pan, add onion, celery and carrot. Fry until soft.
10) Drain out from the pan.
11) Place the roast in the pan.
12) Stir in beef broth, wine and bay leaf.
13) Boil the mixture, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn once.
14) Mix potato and simmer covered for 40 minutes till done.
15) Put the lamb and potato in a hot serving plate.
16) Remove the string from lamb.
17) Keep warm.
18) Skim out fat from pan liquid and discard bay leaf.
19) In a small bowl, m ix flour with 1/4 cup cold.
20) Add it to the pan liquid.
21) Stir and boil. Decrease heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
22) Spoon some gravy over meat.
23) Pass the rest.
Calories 970 Calories from Fat 617
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g105.3%
Saturated Fat 30.5 g152.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 229.5 mg76.5%
Sodium 774.3 mg32.3%
Total Carbohydrates 27 g9.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 57 g113.3%
Vitamin A 33.7% Vitamin C 44.8%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 36.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet