|Shortcrust pastry||1 Pound (450 Gram, Made With Lard)|
|Pie beef/Rump / chuck steak / skirt of same quantity||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Onions||4 Ounce, finely chopped (100 Gram)|
|Swede||3 Ounce, flaked (75 Gram, Yellow Variety)|
|Potato||8 Ounce, flaked (225 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (For Glaze)|
1) Adjust the oven on to Gas Mark 6/400°F/200°C.
2) Spread out your pastry by rolling and cut it into four discs, using side plates as markers for the shape.
3) Refrigerate the slices as you prepare the stuffing.
4) Discard all the skin and gristle from the meat, then chop it roughly orcut into thin flakes by slicing.
5) Add required seasonings.
6) Take the stuffing ingredients and arrange in layers on one side of each pastry disc.
7) Brush the edges with beaten egg, fold the other half of the pastry disc over the filling to shape it into a half-moon shape and twist the edges or flute them together to seal the pastry and give it its specific rope-like, zig-zag touch.
(It is also traditional to mark initials in the corner of each, though this is only strictly needed if the fillings have been suited to cater for individual tastes.
8) Make two small steam holes in the top of each pasty and layer thin with the rest of the egg glaze.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes and then at Gas Mark 4/350°F/ 180°C for 40 minutes more.
10) Cover the container, if they appear to be browning too quickly.
11) Cool and serve.
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 245
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.9%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 76 mg25.3%
Sodium 519.1 mg21.6%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.1%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 14 g27.2%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 31%
Calcium 3% Iron 4.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet