Unsalted Beef ConsommÃ©
|Unsalted beef stock||1 Quart (4 Cups)|
|Crushed dried chervil||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped green onion tops||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. With a wire whisk, beat the egg until they are slightly foamy.
2. Add a cup of the cold stock to the egg whites and beat together lightly.
3. In a saucepan, put the other 3 cups of stock with all the remaining ingredients.
4. Bring the stock to a boil and remove from the heat.
5. Slowly pour the prepared egg white mixture into the stock, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
6. Place the saucepan back on very low heat and stir gently until it starts to simmer.
7. Put the pan partially off the heat so that it is barely simmering, then turning the pan around every few minutes, simmer for 40 minutes.
8. Line a colander or a strainer with 2 or 3 layers of damp cheesecloth.
9. Pour the consommÃ© through the cheesecloth, allowing it to drain, undisturbed, until it has all seeped through.
10. Then store until ready to use.
Whether serving consommÃ© hot or cold, it should be beautifully clear. The consommÃ© will have a much better flavor if seasoning is added to it.