New England Boiled Dinner
|Lean beef brisket||3 Pound (1 Fresh Brisket)|
|Garlic buds||6 , cut into half|
|Onions||3 , chopped|
|Whole black peppercorns||1 Teaspoon|
|Pickling spices||3 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||4 Small, scraped and halved lengthwise|
|Potatoes||4 , peeled and quartered|
|Cabbage head||2 Small, quartered|
1) In a large saucepan or soup kettle, put the beef brisket. Add enough cold water to cover.
2) To this, add all the remaining ingredients, except the carrots, potatoes and cabbage.
3) Bring to a boil.
4) Reduce to low heat. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours with the lid slightly open for the steam to escape.
5) Remove the pan from heat.
6) Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
7) The next day, remove all the fat that has solidified on top of the beef.
8) In a heavy pan, bring the brisket and stock mixture to a boil slowly.
9) To this, add the carrots and potatoes.
10) Cook for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables turn almost tender.
11) Finally, add the cabbage and cook for about 15 more minutes. Check if the cabbage can easily pierced with a fork. (Do not overcook the cabbage. It becomes mushy if overcooked.)
12) Serve hot with mustard sauce and hot Swedish rye bread.
Calories 564 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.8%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32 mg10.7%
Sodium 963.4 mg40.1%
Total Carbohydrates 108 g36.2%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g65.8%
Sugars 25.9 g
Protein 25 g50%
Vitamin A 267.8% Vitamin C 218.3%
Calcium 28.4% Iron 32%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet