Top Sirloin Steak Sandwiches With Cheese, Tomatoes, And Caramelized Onions
|For the caramelized onions|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|White onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Ground fennel seeds||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|For the steaks:|
|Top sirloin steak||32 Ounce (4 Pieces, 8 Ounce Each)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Smoked cheddar cheese/Smoked gouda / jalapeno jack cheese||2 Ounce, thinly cut into 8 or 12 slices|
|For the sandwiches|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Whole grain mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|French bread rolls/Kaiser rolls||4 , cut in half lengthwise|
|Romaine lettuce leaves||8|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 , sliced|
1) Preheat the broiler or grill.
2) In a saute pan or skillet, saute the onion, salt, sugar and ground fennel in the oil over a medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
3) Deglaze the pan with the vinegar, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
4) Pound the steaks lightly and season evenly with the salt and pepper.
5) Grill the steaks for about 4 minutes each side for medium-rare or 5 to 6 minutes each side for medium cooked.
6) On a platter, remove the steaks and cover with the cheese slices until slightly melted.
7) In a small bowl, mix the butter and mustard together, spread evenly on the rolls and toast lightly on the grill or under the broiler.
8) Arrange 2 lettuce leaves and tomato slices on the lower half of each roll. Then place the steaks and cover them with the caramelized onions.
9) Place the upper half of the rolls, secure the sandwiches with toothpicks and cut into halves.
10) Place the sandwiches on serving plates and serve immediately with chips or fries, if desired.