Beef Tenderloin Marinated In Molasses and Black Pepper with A Wild Mushroom, Bacon, and Sweet Potato Compote
|For the marinade:|
|Dark molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly cracked black pepper||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Shallot||1 Large, minced|
|Finely grated ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Minced thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||2 Teaspoon (Or To Taste)|
|For the beef:|
|Beef tenderloin||2 Pound, center-cut, trimmed of all fat and silver skin|
|For the glazed pecans:|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried red chili||2 (Such As Cayenne, De Arbol, / Chiltepin)|
|Shelled pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the compote:|
|Beef stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Diced bacon||1 Cup (16 tbs), smoked|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced mushrooms||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Such As Morels, Chanterelles, / Shiitakes)|
|Sweet potato||1 Large|
|Pearl onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), peeled|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||To Taste|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Watercress sprig||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a glass dish, put together all the marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Toss in the beef tenderloin to coat thoroughly.
4. Cover the dish and marinate for at least 4 hours and preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
5. Remove the dish 1 hour in advance to cooking to let it come down to room temperature before cooking.
6. Separate tenderloin from the marinade reserving 1/2 cup of the marinade for the compote and another 1/4 cup to deglaze the pan.
7. On a cutting board, place the tenderloin and using a sharp knife slice the meat into 8 medallions.
8. Season each medallion with salt and keep aside.
9. Cut the sweet potato in half and using a Parisian scoop or melon bailer, scoop out 1 cup of sweet potato balls.
10. In a small saucepan, prepare the pecans; combine water, sugar, and chiles and bring it to a boil over high heat.
11. Add the pecans and heat to boil again.
12. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the pecan mixture for 10 minutes.
13. Drain and spread on a baking sheet.
14. Place the baking sheet in oven and bake for 45 minutes; stir occasionally.
15. Remove and transfer the pecans to a small bowl.
16. Add molasses with pecan and toss to coat.
17. On the same baking sheet, return the pecans and bake in oven for another 45 minutes until very crispy but not burned.
18. Remove from the oven and let them cool down.
19. In a saucepan, prepare the compote; heat the stock and bring it to a boil.
20. In a cup, stir cornstarch and water.
21. Add the corn starch mixture to the stock with constant whisking.
22. Turn down the heat to low and simmer until 1 cup stock is left; it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
23. In a separate saucepan, heat the reserved 1/2 cup of marinade over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until reduced by half.
24. Add the reduced stock to the reduced marinade and bring the mixture to a boil.
25. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until it again coats the back of a spoon.
26. Turn off the heat and cover to keep warm.
27. In a sautÃ© pan, place the bacon and sautÃ© over medium-high heat for 5- 7 minutes until golden brown.
28. Remove and place over paper towels to drain and reserve.
29. Clean the same pan with a paper towel and heat the oil.
30. Stir in mushrooms and sautÃ© over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until tender.
31. Transfer mushrooms to a plate and reserve.
32. In a heavy ovenproof skillet or sautÃ© pan, melt the butter over medium heat.
33. Stir in the sweet potato balls and pearl onions and sautÃ© for 3 minutes.
34. Add brown sugar and vinegar and sautÃ© for another 2 minutes.
35. Place the pan in the oven and bake for about 7 minutes; stir occasionally to glaze evenly.
36. Take out the pan from the oven and stir in the rendered bacon, sautÃ©ed mushrooms, the reduced stock mixture, and the glazed pecans.
37. Season with salt and lemon juice.
38. Return the pan to the oven; turn the temperature to low to keep the mixture warm.
39. In a large cast-iron skillet or sautÃ© pan, heat oil, add the beef medallions to the hot pan and brown for 3 minutes.
40. Turn over the meat and cook on other side for 2 minutes for browning.
41. Just before taking out the meat, add the reserved marinade to deglaze the pan and to glaze the medallions.
42. Immediately turn over the meat over to glaze the other side and quickly remove from the pan.
43. In each of the two warm serving plates, place 1 beef medallions in the center.
44. Serve compote alongside the medallions.
45. Garnish with a sprig of watercress in between the meat and the compote
46. Serve immediately.
Calories 2635 Calories from Fat 1042
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 120 g184.7%
Saturated Fat 28.5 g142.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 351.2 mg117.1%
Sodium 1540.6 mg64.2%
Total Carbohydrates 267 g88.9%
Dietary Fiber 14.9 g59.6%
Sugars 177.1 g
Protein 123 g245.6%
Vitamin A 239.1% Vitamin C 31.4%
Calcium 125% Iron 191.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet