Dublin Corned Beef And Cabbage
|Lean corned beef brisket||5 Pound (1 In Number)|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled|
|Carrots||14 , 6 halved and 8 cut into 2-inch lengths|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled|
|Celery rib with leaves||3 , halved|
|Flat leaf parsley sprigs||6|
|Orange peel||1 , pith removed (Whole Strip From 1 Orange)|
|New red potatoes||16 Small|
|Leeks||8 Medium, trimmed, 2 inches green left on|
|Green cabbage||3 1⁄2 Pound, cored and cut into 8 wedges (1 Medium Sized)|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Flat leaf parsley||4 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
1) Wash the corned beef and then dry gently.
2) Using 3 cloves, stud each onion.
3) In a large ovenproof casserole, arrange corned beef and then mix in 6 halved carrots, garlic, celery, parsley sprigs, and orange peel.
4) Add cold water to the meat and vegetables to cover them and then allow the mixture to come to a boil.
5) Bring down the heat to medium and partially cover and simmer the mixture for about 3 hours until the meat is very soft.
6) Remove any foam that rises to the surface and toss the meat every 30 minutes.
7) Cook the meat until it can be pierced easily with a fork.
8) Cover it with a aluminum foil after transferring to a plate and keep warm.
9) Strain the broth and pour it back to the casserole, removing the cooked vegetables.
10) Mix in potatoes, leeks, cabbage, 8 cut-up carrots, salt, and pepper and then allow the broth to come to a boil.
11) Uncover and simmer it over medium heat for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
12) Mix in 2 tablespoons of the parsley.
13) Slice the corned beef and arrange it on a large decorative serving platter.
14) Surround the corned beef with vegetables and moisten with some hot broth.
15) Garnish with remaining parsley and serve hot.
Calories 933 Calories from Fat 293
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.1%
Saturated Fat 15.4 g77.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 439.8 mg18.3%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.6%
Dietary Fiber 14.9 g59.8%
Sugars 26.8 g
Protein 84 g167.6%
Vitamin A 438.6% Vitamin C 238.7%
Calcium 28.2% Iron 37%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet