Fillet of Beef Strips with Onions, Mushrooms and Peppers
|Beef fillets||3 Pound, cut into 1/2-by-1/4-by-3-inch strips|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1⁄4 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Sweet hungarian paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Mushrooms||1⁄8 Pound, chopped (1/2 Cup)|
|Green peppers||2 Large, seeds and ribs removed, cut into strips 1/8 inch wide and 2 1/2 inches long|
1) In a heavy 10-inch skillet, over high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of lard until a light haze forms over it.
2) Toss in meat strips for about 3 to 5 minutes until they are browned on all sides.
3) To a platter, transfer the meat and then add the remaining tablespoon of lard to the skillet.
4) Reduce the heat to medium and stir in onions and garlic.
5) SautÃ© those for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are lightly colored.
6) Take them off from heat and then mix in paprika, stirring continuing until the onions are well coated.
7) Place the meat back to skillet and slowly mix in mushrooms and peppers.
8) Keep the pan on high heat and allow it to sizzle.
9) Reduce the heat to its lowest point and simmer the mixture, covered for 25 to 30 minutes until the meat pierces easily with the point of a sharp knife.
10) Adjust seasoning and remove any excess fat from the surface.
11) On a platter, arrange the strips and pour over the pan juices.
12) Serve the dish hot with rice and sour pickles.