Baked Oxtail Ragout
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), unsifted|
|Savory||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Canned carrot juice||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven at 375Â°.
2. Slice the oxtails into equal sizes.
3. Take a plastic bag and add the oxtail with flour, salt, savory and pepper. Shake well to coat well. Set aside the remaining seasoned flour (2 tablespoons).
4. In a large skillet, heat oil and brown the pieces slowly.
5. Take a slotted spoon and an 8-cup baking dish, remove the pieces in it.
6. Add onion into drippings in skillet and sautÃ© until tender.
7. Add the reserved seasoned flour and until bubbly.
8. Mix in carrot juice, water and wine. Keep on cooking for 1 minute and stirring until gravy thickens and bubbles.
9. Add over meat in baking dish, add bay leaf and cover the dish.
10. Place in the oven for 2 hours or until meat separates easily from bones.
11. Ladle in the soup plates and serve hot with French bread.