Luscious Beef Hash
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (Or More If Needed)|
|Beef short ribs||3 Pound, cut into about 3-inch pieces|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and halved|
|Carrot||1 Medium, scrubbed and cut into chunks|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), lightly bruised and peeled|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Idaho potatoes||4 , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (Unsalted)|
|Snipped chives||3 Tablespoon|
|Roasted beets||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch, About 2 Medium, For Serving)|
|Sweet gherkins/Cornichons||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|White horseradish||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained prepared for serving|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Serving)|
1) Preheat oven to 250Â°F before warming.
2) In a large heavy pot, over medium-high heat, heat oil and brown short ribs well on all sides in it for about 3 to 4 minutes, in batches.
3) Season the ribs with pepper as they cook and then transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
4) Stud the onion with the cloves.
5) Add more oil to the pot if it becomes too dry and place the meat back to it.
6) Mix in studded onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, and water and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
7) Lower the heat and then partially cover and simmer the mixture gently for 2 hours.
8) Remove any foam that rises to the top during cooking.
9) Transfer the meat to a bowl and keep aside.
10) Strain the broth, saving 2 1/2 cups and pour the remaining broth to the pot.
11) To this, add potatoes with enough water to cover and allow it to come to a boil.
12) Bring down the heat slightly and then partially cover and boil the potatoes gently for 25 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are soft enough for mashing.
13) Grate the meat into large pieces of about 1 inch.
14) Add salt and pepper to taste and mix in 1 cup of the reserved broth.
15) Arrange the meat in an oven-proof dish and cover and keep warm in the preheated oven.
16) Drain and roughly mash the potatoes, leaving behind some chunks.
17) Mix in butter, 1 cup of reserved broth, and salt and pepper to taste until well mixed.
18) Take off the shredded meat from oven and mix it with the remaining 1/2 cup of reserved broth if it seems to be dry.
19) Take 6 plates and divide the mashed potatoes evenly between them.
20) Pour the juices over the meat and place it on top of potatoes.
21) Garnish with chives.
22) Arrange the roasted beets, pickles, horseradish, and mustard in small bowls and serve at once with the hash.