Pot Roast Pomodoro
|Rump roast||4 Pound|
|Garlic||12 Clove (60 gm), 8 peeled and left whole, 4 peeled and finely chopped|
|Dried white beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), picked over, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Plus 2 1/2 Cups)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Medium, peeled, diced|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Brandy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and sliced into 2-inch pieces|
|Parsnips||2 Medium, scrubbed and sliced into 2-inch pieces|
|White potatoes/Yellow potatoes||6 Small, sliced in half|
|Fennel head||1 Medium, diced|
|Escarole||3 Cup (48 tbs), roughly chopped, washed, and drained|
1) Take the rump roast and stud it with garlic cloves.
2) Take a saucepan and place beans in it adding 3 cups water before boiling them.
3) Decrease the heat and simmer the beans for an hour.
4) Drain out the excess water.
5) Heat olive oil on heat in a Dutch oven and add the rump roast to it.
6) Sear the roast on all sides evenly before removing it.
7) Decrease the heat and add onion and sautÃ© until it is tender.
8) Add the chopped garlic and sautÃ© until the fragrance is released.
9) Add the oregano and basil and sautÃ© them for a minute.
10) Increase the heat and replace the roast in pot again.
11) Add the brandy, decrease heat and simmer for 2 minutes until the brandy evaporates.
12) Add the tomatoes along with rest of the 21/2 cups of water and allow liquid to boil.
13) Lower heat and place lid on pot before simmering all the ingredients over low fire for 2 Â¼ hours turning the roast over once every half hour.
14) Add the parsnips, Carrots, potatoes and fennel and simmer for 45 minutes more.
15) Remove the roast and cover it not too tightly.
16) Increase the heat and add escarole to the ingredients of pot and simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
17) Remove it from heat and add the bean mixture to it .
18) Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
19) Serve the sliced roast with vegetables and a ladle of sauce poured over it.