Oven Braised Short Ribs
|Beef short ribs||5 Pound|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant beef broth||1 (1 Envelope)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Frozen peas||20 Ounce (2 Packages Of 10 Ounces)|
|Canned tiny carrots||1 Pound (1 Can, Whole)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Separate the short ribs and put them in a large shallow baking pan in a single layer.
3) In the preheated oven, bake for about 30 minutes, turning once, till the ribs are well browned. Drain off all the fat and reduce the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees.
4) In a small saucepan, sauté the onion in margarine or butter till it is soft. Add 1 ¾ cups of water, tomato paste, instant beef broth, salt and pepper and stir well. Heat the mixture and bring it to boiling point. Pour the sauce all over the ribs in the baking dish and use foil to cover.
5) Bake for 2 ½ hours in the oven, till the meat starts to fall away from the bones. During the final 40 minutes of cooking, get started on the vegetable and beef pot pie. Make the pastry and chill it and line up the ingredients for the sauce and the vegetables.
6) On a serving platter, put half of the cooked ribs and cover them. Keep warm in the oven at a very low temperature. Keep the remaining ribs for pot pie.
7) Into a 4-cup measure, pour the sauce from the baking pan and skim off the fat, if any. Keep 1 cup sauce aside for the pot pie.
8) Put the remaining sauce back in the baking pan.
9) With the remaining ½ cup water, blend the flour in a cup till a smooth paste is formed. Stir the paste into the sauce in the baking pan.
10) Over medium heat, cook and stir the sauce, scraping to loosen the baked-on juices in the pan, till the sauce is thick and has boiled for about 1 minute. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and keep it warm.
11) Make the sauce and filling for beef and vegetable pot pie, assemble the preparations in a baking dish and top with the pastry.
12) As per the directions on the label, cook the peas.
13) In a small saucepan, heat the carrots.
14) On a serving platter, arrange the carrots after draining them around the ribs.