Beef Pot Roast
|Round steak||6 Pound (In One Piece)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bacon drippings||4 Tablespoon|
|Rich beef stock||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Carrots||4 Large, cut into 1 inch lengths|
|Onions||2 Large, quartered|
|Turnips||2 , quartered|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, softened|
|Parsley sprigs||4 , finely chopped|
1. Season meat with salt, pepper and thyme.
2. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt bacon drippings or heat olive oil over medium high heat.
3. Add seasoned beef cubes and sauté in fat until evenly browned.
4. Pour in half beef stock and allow it to reach a boil.
5. Reduce heat and let the stock simmer before adding vegetables, spices and herbs.
6. Cover casserole with lid and simmer roast for almost 4 hours, turning occasionally and adding more stock if required, until meat is fork tender.
7. Transfer the roast to a warm serving platter and remove vegetables to surround the meat, using a slotted spoon. Cover with foil and keep warm.
8. Once gravy cools, carefully skim off fat that surfaces to the top.
9. Combine butter and flour to make a paste and add to the gravy.
10. Boil, stirring constantly, until gravy is thick and smooth.
11. Taste and adjust seasoning.
12. Coat the meat and vegetables with gravy, pouring the rest into a sauce boat.
13. Garnish roast with parsley.
14. Serve with potatoes and green beans if you like.