BOILED BEEF BRISKET
|Beef brisket||4 Pound|
|Onion||1 Large, quartered (Peeled)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parsley sprigs||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Potatoes||3 Pound (Pared)|
|Carrots||3 Pound (Pared)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Wipe beef with damp paper towels.
2. Slowly heat Dutch oven.
3. Add brisket, fat side down; over medium heat, brown well on both sides —about 20 minutes in all.
4. Discard drippings.
5. Turn brisket with its fat side up.
6. Add onion, celery, parsley, salt, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf and 2 cups of water.
7. Bring it to a boil. Reduce flame. Cover and simmer for 2 ¼ hours.
8. Add potatoes and carrots. Simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Add cabbage wedges. Simmer for about 20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
10. Meanwhile make Horseradish Sauce. Keep it warm.
11. To serve beef brisket, remove meat and vegetables to a heated serving platter and serve with horseradish sauce.
Calories 789 Calories from Fat 395
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.5%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g86.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154.2 mg51.4%
Sodium 658.1 mg27.4%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38%
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 47 g94.9%
Vitamin A 575.5% Vitamin C 86.4%
Calcium 10.9% Iron 33.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet