Old World Short Ribs
|Beef short ribs||4 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Canned tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Beer||12 Ounce (1 Can Or Bottle)|
|Caraway seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cooked noodles||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
1. In a large Dutch oven or casserole, heat the oil over a medium high flame.
2. Add the ribs and brown them evenly on all sides. Remove the browned ribs onto a platter using tongs.
3. To the dripping in the casserole, add the onion and sauté until lightly browned.
4. Stir in the tomato sauce, 1 1/4 cups beer and seasonings.
5. Return ribs to the casserole and coat with the sauce.
6. Cover casserole with lid and allow the ribs to simmer for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours until meat is tender.
7. Remove ribs onto serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
8. Skim fat from cooking liquid and add a little water to equal 2 cups.
9. Blend flour in remaining beer and stir paste into the cooking liquid in casserole.
10. Simmer gravy, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
11. Serve ribs with the gravy poured on top or served on the side.
12. Accompany them with noodles or rice if you like.