Boeuf A La Bourguignonne
|Chuck steak/Top rump||2 Pound, cut into chunks (1 Kilogram)|
|Parsley sprigs||3 (A Few Sprigs)|
|Thyme sprigs||3 (A Few Sprigs)|
|Bay leaf||1 , crushed|
|Red burgundy wine||14 Fluid Ounce (400 Milliliter)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Lean bacon||5 Ounce, roughly chopped (150 Gram)|
|Onions||24 Small, peeled|
|Button mushrooms||1 Pound, halved (500 Gram)|
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
1. Into a large bowl add the beef together with the parsley, thyme and the bay leaf.
2. Then add the brandy, red Burgundy wine and oil, stir once or twice and let it marinate with cover for at least 4 hours.
3. In a flameproof casserole melt the butter and fry the chopped bacon over a moderate heat such that golden brown all over.
4. From the pan using a slotted spoon take out the bacon and set aside.
5. In the pan add, fry onions such that golden on all sides, remove and keep aside.
6. In the pan fry the button mushrooms stirring, for 1 minute, remove and set aside.
7. To the pan add the mushrooms, fry stirring, for 1 minute, remove and set aside.
8. From the marinade remove the beef, strain and reserve the stock.
9. In the casserole fry the beef briskly until browned on all sides.
10. Sprinkle in the plain flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
11. In the casserole gradually stir in the strained marinade, add the beef stock, garlic, bouquet garni and the seasoning, to taste and simmer gently with cover for 2 hours.
12. In the casserole from the surface skim off any fat and add the bacon, onions and mushrooms.
13. Simmer with cover for 30 minutes such that tender.
14. To serve discard the bouquet garni and garnish as desired.