Baked Stuffed Heart
|Beef heart||1 (or 2 veal hearts)|
|Bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. Clean heart and cut the though fibroids.
2. Place heart in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the heart for 2 hours. You could also pressure cook the heart for 5 minutes at 15lbs. pressure.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F
4. Heat a skillet on medium flame.
5. Dice bacon and add to hot skillet. Sauté till crisp.
6. In a bowl, combine breadcrumbs, onion, sage, celery, and 1teaspoon salt.
7. Season the boiled heart with salt.
8. Stuff the cavity with the prepared stuffing.
9. Fasten the stuffed heart with toothpicks or tie with string to hold stuffing.
10. Dredge the heart with seasoned flour.
11. Brown the heart in hot fat in a heavy skillet.
12. Add 1/2cup water and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet.
13. Cover the skillet and transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 1 ½ hours or till tender.
14. You could also simmer the heart on the stove.
15. Slice heart and serve on hot buttered toast or muffins. Spoon pan juiced over it.