Beef Short Ribs with Daikon Radish and Shiitake
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Short ribs||3 Pound, trimmed of excess fat|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Red onions||2 Large, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes|
|Fresh ginger root piece||2 Inch, peeled and finely grated (1 Piece)|
|Shiitake mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices|
|Star anise pods||2|
|Ground szechuan peppercorns||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Beef stock/Low sodium canned beef broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Fermented hot black bean paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Daikon radish||2 Pound, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices|
|Scallions||1 Bunch (100 gm), trimmed and sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Fresh cilantro sprigs||6 (Leaves Only)|
1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 275ºF.
2. In a medium cast-iron pot or Dutch oven over high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and sear until golden brown on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the short ribs and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pot.
3. Add the onions, gingerroot, and mushrooms and saute, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the star anise, Szechuan pepper, and cardamom and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the beef stock, bean paste, and soy sauce. Add the daikon radish and return the short ribs to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
4. Cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Braise for 4 hours, or until the meat is very tender, checking the short ribs occasionally and spooning off any excess fat that rises to the surface. If the sauce is too thin or is not flavored intensely enough, ladle most of it off into another pot and simmer it until it thickens and intensifies. Then add it back to the first pot.
5. To serve: In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the scallions and garlic and cook until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle the scallion mixture and cilantro leaves over the short ribs. Serve with Cucumber-Radish Remoulade.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6413 Calories from Fat 4908
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 543 g835.2%
Saturated Fat 218.4 g1091.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1034.1 mg344.7%
Sodium 2834.6 mg118.1%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.4%
Dietary Fiber 23.4 g93.6%
Sugars 54.8 g
Protein 235 g469.9%
Vitamin A 37.6% Vitamin C 102.8%
Calcium 49.3% Iron 166.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet