Beef In Aspic
|Round steak||3 Pound|
|Veal knuckle||1 , cracked|
|Parsley sprigs||2 Small|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic salt||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄3 Teaspoon|
|Powdered allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Cut the beef in 1-inch cubes, and place in a kettle with the veal knuckle, the soup greens, (1 scallion, 1 carrot, several sprigs of parsley) the vinegar and water. Cover and simmer 3 hours, or until the meat is so tender that it can be pulled apart with a fork. Let it cool in the liquid.
2. Remove the meat and chop it coarsely.
3. Skim the fat off the cooking liquid and strain the liquid. Add salt, garlic salt, mustard, allspice, cloves and mace to the liquid, and bring it to a rapid boil.
4. Add the meat, heat thoroughly.
5. Pour into a bowl or mold and chill. When the liquid begins to stiffen, stir it to distribute the meat evenly. Chill in the refrigerator, until firm, 1 hour or longer.
6. Unmold, and serve with a salad garnish, or with spiced peaches.