Stir Fried Beef with Vegetables
|Reduced-sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry/Rice wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Lean round steak||3⁄4 Pound, trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Asparagus||1 Pound, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths (1 Bunch)|
|Carrots||3 Large, thinly sliced|
|Asian sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Peanut oil||3 Teaspoon|
|Scallions||4 , minced (Use Both White And Green Parts)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large, minced|
|Minced peeled fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Fermented black beans||1 Tablespoon, rinsed and chopped|
1. Combine 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and the sherry in a zip-close plastic bag; add the steak. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag; turn to coat the steak. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the asparagus and carrots; cover and simmer until barely crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander under cold water to stop the cooking; set aside.
3. To prepare the flavoring sauce, whisk together the water, the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, the sesame oil, cornstarch, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
4. Wipe out the skillet and return it to the heat; let it get very hot. Swirl in 2 teaspoons of the peanut oil. When the oil is just beginning to shimmer, add the beef. Stir-fry until browned on the edges but still pink in the center, about 2 minutes. Transfer the beef and pan juices to a heatproof bowl and keep warm.
5. Return the skillet to the heat; let it get very hot. Swirl in the remaining 1 teaspoon of peanut oil. When the oil shimmers, add the scallions, garlic, ginger, and black beans. Stir-fry until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the reserved cooked vegetables and stir-fry until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the beef and its juices, then the flavoring sauce. Stir-fry until heated through, 2-3 minutes more.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 920 Calories from Fat 333
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.2%
Saturated Fat 9.7 g48.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 165 mg55%
Sodium 1551.7 mg64.7%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 18.7 g74.9%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 93 g186.8%
Vitamin A 802.3% Vitamin C 88.2%
Calcium 26.6% Iron 71.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet