|Chuck steak||1 Pound, diced (450 Gram)|
|Potato||6 Ounce, diced (175 Gram, 1 Whole)|
|Swede||6 Ounce, diced (175 Gram, Rutabaga)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Dried mixed herbs||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Plain flour||12 Ounce (350 Gram / 3 Cups, All Purpose)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram / 1/2 Cup)|
|Lard/White vegetable fat||2 Ounce (50 Gram / 1/4 Cup)|
|Chilled water||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
1. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, lightly rub or cut in the butter and lard or vegetable fat, then sprinkle over most of the chilled water and mix to a soft dough, adding more water if necessary. Knead the pastry on a lightly floured surface for a few seconds until smooth. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7, Divide the pastry into six pieces, then roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm/8in round.
3. Mix together the steak, vegetables, herbs and seasoning in a bowl, then spoon an equal amount on to one half of each pastry round.
4. Brush the pastry edges with water, then fold the free half of each round over the filling. Press the edges firmly together to seal, then use your fingertips to crimp the edges.
5. Brush the pasties with the beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 and bake for 1 hour more. Serve the pasties hot or cold with a salad garnish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3902 Calories from Fat 2053
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 231 g356%
Saturated Fat 111.5 g557.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 809.2 mg269.7%
Sodium 1171.7 mg48.8%
Total Carbohydrates 334 g111.2%
Dietary Fiber 18.9 g75.7%
Sugars 17.7 g
Protein 107 g213.5%
Vitamin A 61.8% Vitamin C 144%
Calcium 22.4% Iron 49.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet