|Beef brisket||6 Pound|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Mixed whole pickling spices||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic buds||2 , minced|
|Boiling water||2 Tablespoon|
1. Cover the meat with the water, in a large enamel kettle. Bring just to boiling point, then let the water cool slightly, add salt, sugar, pepper and pickle spices, bay leaves and garlic, then saltpeter dissolved in hot water.
2. When the liquid is just lukewarm, cover with a clean piece of cheesecloth of triple thickness and put a weight on the meat so that it stays covered with the brine. Leave in a cool place 36 hours.
3. To prepare corned beef for serving, use 2 pounds corned beef. Wash the beef under cold, running water; roll it and tie it in a solid chunk if necessary.
4. Place in a kettle, cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Skim off the foam, cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Let stand in its stock until ready to serve.
5. Remove the meat to a hot platter and slice. Mixed horseradish or mustard are good with this meat.