1. In a large pot, heat the butter, add in garlic, onion, salt and pepper and cook until onions are soft.
2. Add the meat and season again with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, and stir well to mix.
3. Put the lid and cook until the meat browns, reduce the heat and pour in the beef broth, cover and simmer for about 80 minutes or until the meat is tender, checking occasionally and add water if needed.
4. Add in the potatoes and some water, just enough to cover the potatoes, and season with salt and pepper, stir well and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Serve hot over a bed of cooked rice or cooked grits.