Corn Beef Harbert
|Dried beef||5 Ounce (1 jar)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Regular all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Canned pimentos||4 Ounce, cut into strips (1 can)|
|Canned sliced mushrooms||3 Ounce (1 can)|
|Corn bread mix||8 1⁄2 Ounce (1 package)|
About 45 minutes before supper:
1. Tear dried beef into medium shreds; then pour boiling water over it and let stand 1 minute; drain.
2. In large skillet melt butter; in it heat dried beef, stirring, until slightly crisp. Over low heat, blend in flour and pepper, then gradually stir in milk until smooth and thickened. Add pimentos and mushrooms; blend well. Pour into 12-by-8-by-2-inch baking pan.
3. Start heating oven as corn-bread label directs.
4. Prepare corn-bread batter as package label directs. Spoon it over dried-beef mixture.
5. Bake 20 minutes, or until corn bread is golden.