Red Cooked Beef Roast
|Oil||22 Milliliter (1/2 Tablespoon)|
|Beef chuck roast||4 Pound (1800 Gram, With Excess Fat Trimmed Off)|
|Carrots||6 Medium, cut into 2 inch lengths|
|Peeled tomatoes||500 Milliliter, cut into wedges (2 Cups)|
|Chinese cabbage||1 Pound, cut into 2 inch square pieces (450 Gram)|
|Cornstarch slurry||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon (10 Milliliter)|
|Oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch square pieces|
|Garlic cloves||6 , minced / pressed|
|Dark soy sauce||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Soy sauce||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Sesame oil||1⁄4 Teaspoon (3 Milliliter)|
|Wine||160 Milliliter (3 2/3 Cup)|
|Whole star anise||2|
|Dried tangerine peel||2 Inch (1 Square Piece)|
1. Heat1 1/2 tablespoons oil in wok over high heat. Brown beef roast on all sides for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove roast to a 4-quart casserole dish.
2. To make red-cooked sauce: heat clean wok with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining sauce ingredients. If dry, add 2-3 tablespoons soup stock. Mix well.
3. Pour sauce mixture into casserole dish.
4. Bring casserole to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Turn roast occasionally.
5. Add vegetables and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
6. Transfer beef and vegetables to a serving dish. Thicken remaining sauce with cornstarch and pour over beef and vegetables.