Beef Mechado is a type of stew with tomato sauce. This dish is somewhat similar to other Filipino dishes such as the Kaldereta (caldereta), Estofada (or Estofado), and as well as the Afritada because of the base ingredient used (which is tomato sauce). If we look closely, there are differences (aside from the name )such as the manner of cooking or preparation and ingredients used.
I enjoy eating tomato based dishes especially if beef is used. However, the time needed to tenderize the meat tests my patience. Good thing I was able to buy a reliable pressure cooker to solve my problem. I acknowledge the fact that slow cooked meals are still the best but sometimes we need to improvise our cooking methods to suit our busy world.
3 Clove (15 gm), crushed
1 Large, sliced
2 Pound, cubed
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1 (With Rind)
1 Large, cubed
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Ground black pepper
1. Heat cooking oil in a pan then saute the garlic and onion.
2. Put-in the beef and saute for about 3 minutes or until color turns light brown
3. Add the tomato sauce and water then simmer until the meat is tender. Add water as needed
4. Add the soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, laurel leaves, and salt then simmer until excess liquid evaporates
5. Put-in the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are soft (about 15 to 25 minutes)
6. Place in a serving plate then serve hot with rice. Share and Enjoy!
This video is in Filipino. But the video is going to hold you as the beef is cooked into a delicious looking dish. Chef here is making a curry called Beef Mechado using few simple ingredients from the kitchen. It’s the cooking method that makes all the difference. The beef is first browned and then slow cooked in tomato sauce and flavored with garlic and dried bay leaf. The red color of the dish will sure to compel you try this recipe.