Braised Beef Round With Potatoes and Carrots
|Top round roast/London broil||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Crushed fresh garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Tomato juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, scrubbed and quartered (About 5 Medium)|
|Carrots||1 1⁄4 Pound, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (About 6 Large)|
|Beef bouillon granules||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Separate the lean and fat from the meat, see to it that all visible fat is trimmed off. Next, rinse the meat, and pat dry. Spread the garlic and pepper over both sides of the meat.
2. Coat a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet, and brown it for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the skillet from the heat, and spread the onions over the meat Place the bay leaves and tomato juice in the bottom of the skillet, cover the skillet tightly, and bake at 325 °F for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
3. Remove the skillet from the oven, and carefully remove the cover. (Steam will escape.) Place the potatoes and carrots around the meat, cover the skillet tightly, and return it to the oven for another 45 minutes, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving platter, and keep warm.
4. To make the gravy, discard the bay leaves and pour the meat drippings into a fat separator cup. (If you don't have a separator cup, pour the drippings into a bowl, add a few ice cubes, and skim off the fat once it rises and hardens.) Pour the fat-free drippings into a 2-cup measure, and add enough water to bring the volume up to 1 1/2 cups. Pour the mixture into a 1-quart saucepan, add the bouillon granules, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
5. Combine the flour and water in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake until smooth. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the boiling gravy. Cook and stir until the gravy is thickened and bubbly.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2872 Calories from Fat 924
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 103 g158.3%
Saturated Fat 35.7 g178.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 650.3 mg216.8%
Sodium 2798.9 mg116.6%
Total Carbohydrates 226 g75.3%
Dietary Fiber 34.9 g139.7%
Sugars 37.6 g
Protein 256 g512.6%
Vitamin A 1908% Vitamin C 317.8%
Calcium 31.3% Iron 58.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet