Herbed Eye of Round Roast
|Round beef eye roast||3 1⁄4 Pound|
|Crushed fresh garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Condensed beef broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), undiluted|
|Dry red wine/Tomato juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, chopped|
1. Trim any visible fat from the meat. Rinse the meat, and pat it dry with paper towels. Spread the garlic over both sides of the meat, and sprinkle both sides with pepper.
2. Coat a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray, and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the meat in the skillet, and brown it for 2 minutes on each side.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat, and pour the broth and the wine or tomato juice into the bottom of the skillet. Add the bay leaves, and sprinkle the marjoram, thyme, and onion over the top of the roast. Cover the skillet tightly, and bake at 325° F for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the roast registers 135°F for rare, 145°F for medium-rare, or 155°F for medium doneness.
4. Transfer the roast to a serving platter. Cover the roast loosely with aluminum foil, and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing thinly.
5. Pour the pan juices through a strainer into a fat separator cup. (If the meat was well trimmed, there may be no fat.) Pour the fat-free drippings into a warmed gravy boat or pitcher.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2600 Calories from Fat 551
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g94.3%
Saturated Fat 0.23 g1.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1706.7 mg71.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.5%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 439 g878.7%
Vitamin A 14.5% Vitamin C 10.9%
Calcium 22.6% Iron 66.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet