Savory Pot Roast Of Veal
|Fat||3 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Rolled veal rump||5 Pound|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Dredging)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Meat glaze||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered dry mushrooms/3 dry mushrooms washed and soaked in hot bouillon for 15 minutes, then chopped||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Concentrated bouillon||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to hot (450° F.). Place two tablespoons of the fat in a baking pan and heat in the oven.
2. Dredge the veal with flour. Brown in the baking pan in the oven, turning veal over once so both sides brown. Remove from the oven, drain off the fat and lower the oven temperature to slow (300° F.).
3. Heat the remaining fat in a skillet, add the onion, garlic, celery and parsley and cook slowly until the onion is transparent. With a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables and add to the veal. Add the glaze, tomato paste, mushrooms, bouillon and water. Cover.
4. Bake about four hours, adding more bouillon if necessary to keep the bottorn of the pan covered with liquid. Turn the meat over when the cooking is half finished. When the veal is tender, transfer it to a hot platter and keep warm.
5. Strain the liquid in the pan, skim off the fat, thicken with a little flour mixed with water