|Fatback||1 Pound, sliced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground allspice||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped dill/Parsley||5 Tablespoon|
|Brine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Have the butcher bone the breast of veal and flatten it. Trim it to make a large square.
2. Arrange the fatback on the veal and sprinkle with pepper, salt, saltpeter, allspice, onions and dill or parsley.
3. Roll the veal jelly-roll fashion in a clean white cloth.
4. Tie the rolled veal tightly with string and place it in a brine bath prepared according to directions below. Weight it down a heavy plate will do and let it rest in a cool place for five or six days.
5. Drain the veal. Place it in a large kettle and cover with water. Add salt to taste and bring to a boil.
6. Simmer, covered, one and one-half hours. Remove from the cooking liquid and weight down once more. Refrigerate at least twenty-four hours. Remove the cloth.