Pot Au Feu
|Lean beef||3 Pound (Use Shin, Brisket Or Silverside)|
|Veal||1 Pound (Knuckle Including Bone)|
|Turnip||1 Small (But Omit This Unless It Is Young)|
|Herbs||1 Tablespoon (Tied In A Muslin)|
|Cold water||6 Pint|
1. In a pan bring to boil putting meat and bones with salt and water very slowly.
2. Add a spoonful of cold water just before boiling point to help scrum to rise.
3. Skim well and simmer gently for about an hour.
4. Add herbs and vegetables, peeled but left whole and continue simmering for a further 3 hours.
5. Remove meat and vegetables and moist with a little of liquor.
6. Serve hot preferably with a dish of mashed potatoes or hot rice.
For using as beef bouillon for the making of soups and gravies :
7. Strain the liquor into a clean bowl, let it get cold and remove the fat.