Pot Au Feu
|Lean beef||3 Pound (Use Shin, Brisket Or Silverside)|
|Veal||1 Pound (Knuckle Including Bone)|
|Turnip||1 Small (But Omit This Unless It Is Young)|
|Herbs||1 Tablespoon (Tied In A Muslin)|
|Cold water||6 Pint|
1. In a pan bring to boil putting meat and bones with salt and water very slowly.
2. Add a spoonful of cold water just before boiling point to help scrum to rise.
3. Skim well and simmer gently for about an hour.
4. Add herbs and vegetables, peeled but left whole and continue simmering for a further 3 hours.
5. Remove meat and vegetables and moist with a little of liquor.
6. Serve hot preferably with a dish of mashed potatoes or hot rice.
For using as beef bouillon for the making of soups and gravies :
7. Strain the liquor into a clean bowl, let it get cold and remove the fat.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2872 Calories from Fat 1147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 128 g196.3%
Saturated Fat 53.2 g266.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 931.5 mg310.5%
Sodium 1788.2 mg74.5%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8.1%
Dietary Fiber 6 g23.9%
Sugars 11.8 g
Protein 383 g765.4%
Vitamin A 212.2% Vitamin C 48.4%
Calcium 63.8% Iron 127.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet