1. Pick the beans to weed out any half beans or adulterants.
2. In a colander, place the beans and rinse them with cold water.
3. Dice the onions.
4. In a deep vessel, place the beans and three times, their volume of water on high heat. When the water begins to boil, cover the vessel and allow cook for 5 minutes, before turning the heat off. Let the covered vessel stand undisturbed for 1 hour.
5. Add the oil to the beans and cover again and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 2 hours.
6. Add the diced onions, brown sugar and bacon. Bring the beans to a simmer again and allow the sauce to thicken.
7. Add some more brown sugar and molasses if you desire a sweet taste, else just add some minced Jalapenos, to spice the dish up.
8. Serve along with rice or your choice of a main dish.