White Beans, Country Style
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound (2 cups, white variety)|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), pressed|
|Onions||2 , finely chopped to make 2 cups|
|Green pepper||1 , finely chopped to make 1 cup|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound, undrained (1 can)|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. To prepare the beans cover them with cold water refrigerate covered overnight.
3. Drain beans, transfer into a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven and cover with 5 cups cold water.
4. Add the salt, pepper, garlic and bay leaves and bring to boiling.
5. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour until beans are tender.
6. Stir several times during cooking and drain.
7. Turn beans back into Dutch oven.
8. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons butter and saute chopped onion until golden-€”about 5 minutes.
9. Add green pepper, tomatoes, oregano and parsley and cook 5 more minutes.
10. Stir vegetable mixture and remaining 2 tablespoons butter into drained beans.
11. Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes and bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
12. Garnish top with tomato wedges and serve.