White Beans with Pasta
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound (2 cups, white variety)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Shell macaroni||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 can)|
|Dried savory leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|American cheese slices||4 Ounce, halved (1/2 of a 8 ounce package)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cover beans with cold water and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
2. Next day, drain beans reserving the liquid.
3. Into a 3-quart Dutch oven, add beans and 6 cups liquid along with 1 teaspoon salt and bring to boiling.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 2 hours until tender.
5. If necessary, add 1 cup water during cooking and drain.
6. In medium saucepan, bring to boiling 3 cups water and 1 teaspoon salthalf an hour before beans are done.
7. Add macaroni, cook until tender-€”about 15 minutes and drain.
8. In hot oil in medium skillet, saute garlic, onion and parsley for 1 minute.
9. Add tomato sauce, savory, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt and the pepper and cook, uncovered, over medium heat until onion is tender-€”about 5 minutes.
10. Into a 2-quart shallow casserole turn beans and macaroni and stir in tomato mixture.
11. Arrange cheese slices over top of beans in a circle and run under broiler a few minutes to melt cheese.
12. Sprinkle top with chopped parsley and serve.
Calories 759 Calories from Fat 217
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.6%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.6 mg8.9%
Sodium 589.9 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.4%
Dietary Fiber 26.3 g105.2%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 35 g70.8%
Vitamin A 33.9% Vitamin C 52.8%
Calcium 45.4% Iron 54.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet