Old Fashioned Baked Beans
|Dried great northern beans||1 1⁄2 Pound (3 Cups)|
|Salt pork||3⁄4 Pound|
|Firmly packed light-brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Light molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
To prepare beans :
1. Wash beans, discarding imperfect ones and cover with 2 quarts cold water and refrigerate covered overnight.
2. Then drain beans, turn into 6-quart kettle and cover with 2 quarts cold water and bring to boiling.
3. Reduce heat simmer, covered, 30 minutes and drain, reserving liquid.
4. Preheat oven to 300F.
5. Trim rind from salt pork and cut pork almost through at half-inch intervals.
6. In bottom of 4-quart bean pot or casserole place onion.
7. Add beans bury salt pork, cut side down in center of beans.
8. Heat reserved bean liquid to boiling.
9. Mix remaining ingredients and stir in 1 cup boiling bean liquid.
10. Pour over beans and add boiling liquid just to cover beans-€”about 1 1/2 cups.
11. Bake covered for 6 hours stirring once every hour so that beans cook evenly.
12. If dry after stirring, add a little hot bean liquid or water.
13. To brown top of beans, remove cover for last half hour of baking time.
14. Serve baked beans with garnish as desired.