Lima Bean Loaf
|Dry lima beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Thinly sliced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs), soft|
|Chopped carrots||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), or grated|
|Chopped peanuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Take a bowl and soak beans in cold water overnight.
2) Preheat oven to 375° F.
3) Drain the beans and cook in water, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4) Drain the beans and mash them.
5) Take a saucepan and melt margarine in it. Add onion and saute for about 3 minutes.
6) Add celery and cook, covered, until tender.
7) Add flour and cook for about 2 minutes.
8) Add milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
9) Remove from heat and stir in the egg.
10) Add carrots, crumbs, pepper, peanuts and salt.
11) Take an 8-by-4-inch non-stick loaf pan and spoon out the mixture in it. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
12) Remove from pan and transfer to a platter. Slice and serve warm.