Microwave Cooked Sweet and Sour Beans
|Fresh green beans||1 Pound (In 1 Inch Pieces)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|For the topping:|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, softened|
1) Into a 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole, add in the green bean pieces along with water.
2) Cover the casserole and microwave on HIGH for about 11 minutes. The beans must become slightly tender yet crisp. Stir the beans once after 5 minnutes.
3) Let the beans rest in the vessel for 5 minutes before draining off its liquid. Keep aside 1/4 cup of the liquid for later use.
4) In a small microwavable bowl or a 2-cup measurer, add in brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the lemon juice along with the reserved liquid.
5) Microwave for 2 minutes till the mixture starts to thicken. Stir the mixture once in between.
6) Add in butter and mix well. Pour the thick sauce over the drained beans.
7) Add in the mixture of dry bread crumbs, almonds, butter or margarine and nutmeg. Microwave the beans once more, without cover, for 1 1/2 minutes on HIGH.
8) Serve the Sweet and Sour Beans hot with steamed rice on the side.
Calories 186 Calories from Fat 84
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g20.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 31.1 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.2%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 4 g8.1%
Vitamin A 3.8% Vitamin C 8.6%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet