Old Fashioned Baked White Beans
|Dried navy beans||1 Pound|
|Brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), firmly packed|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 Large, thin sliced|
|Bacon slices||4 , 1 inch pieces|
|Celery salt||1 Teaspoon|
1. Wash beans well and place them in an oven.
2. Add 2 quarts water and boil. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Remove and let them stand for 60 minutes.
4. Mix salt.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 hour over reduced heat.
6. Drain the excess water. Reserve 1 1/2 cup of the liquid. Keep the bean aside.
7. Mix the kept aside bean liquid, molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, pepper and celery salt. Stir the mixture well. Keep it aside.
8. In a 3 quart casserole layer onion, molasses mixture, onion and beans. Repeat the layers again.
9. Cover and bake for 3 1/2 hours at 300°F.
10. Serve old fashioned baked beans over rice.