Beans with Lamb, Pork, and Sausage
|Great northern beans||1 Pound|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Boned lamb||1 Pound, cut into 2 inch chunks (shoulder or leg)|
|Pork||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks|
|Celery stalk||1 , thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 , thinly sliced|
|Green onions||2 , chopped|
|Polish sausage||1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Chopped parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Beef bouillon||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Packaged bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat oven moderate to 375 °F
2. Wash beans.
3. In a pan add beans with 6 cups water.
4. Bring to boil and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Take off from heat and keep covered for 1 hour.
6. Add onions, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and cloves to beans.
7. Cook covered for 1 hour.
8. Drain beans and reserve the liquid.
9. In a frying pan heat 1 tablespoon butter and oil. Add lamb and pork. Fry until brown.
10. Stir in celery, carrot, onions, and sausage.
11. Pour wine over it and simmer for 40 minutes.
12. Mix tomato paste, garlic, and parsley.
13. Season with cayenne.
14. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
15. Add beans and mix thoroughly.
16. Grease an ovenproof casserole and spoon cassoulet into it.
17. Pour bean liquid or bouillon to the brim.
18. Sprinkle bread crumbs over it and dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
19. Bake in oven for 1 hour.
20. Serve with chunks of French bread and red wine.
Calories 741 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g64.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 112 mg37.3%
Sodium 889.6 mg37.1%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.5%
Dietary Fiber 17.7 g70.8%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 47 g93.7%
Vitamin A 55.1% Vitamin C 39.9%
Calcium 20.2% Iron 42.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet